A Teaching School
At Harris Boys’ Academy East Dulwich, we are committed to making our staff into the best practitioners they can be, whether that be as teachers or associate staff members.
Our professional learning plan outlines our commitment and approach to providing development opportunities. Alongside the Harris Federation's courses and qualifications, we also offer an additional range of CPL sessions and support.
Staff CPD - Friday 2.30-3pm
Staff CPD runs every Friday afternoon with a specific focus for each term. This builds on our three-tiered approach to CPD: whole school, departmental and individual.
- At whole school level, CPD is planned in response to whole school needs.
- At department level, each director will lead one session per term that focuses on departmental needs which can be different from the whole school. This can be in response to areas for development identified through MER, Learning Walk feedback, Staff Voice or the director's reflections.
- Lastly, each teacher has a personalised development target which, through Innovation Coaching, supports staff to develop over time.
CPD curriculum is planned in conjunction with the ECT framework to ensure that the whole school approach builds on ECT progression through this framework.
Early Careers Teachers (ECT)
In partnership with UCL and Harris Hubs, our ECTs are supported to develop expert teaching and learning pedagogy.
- Frequent, high quality twilight training sessions are rooted in the evidence-informed Early Career Framework.
- Bespoke mentoring and coaching opportunities are led by trained colleagues.
- We offer a combination of both theoretical workshops, subject specific webinars and application to practise workshops; ECTs have a series of facilitated training sessions throughout the programme which are designed to cover essential parts of the ECF – these tend to be content-driven sessions. ECTs also have Online Learning Community (OLC) sessions – these are more exploratory and are discussion-based.
- Access to research-based self-directed study modules are offered via UCLeXtend.
- Half-termly subject enhancement sessions are led by Federation Subject Consultants.
- There is a Dedicated Delivery Partner Team Channel where ECTs are able to contribute to forums, blogs and the latest educational research with colleagues from across the country as well as within our own school.
- Training is also supplemented by our own in-house extensive CPD opportunities.
Initial Teacher Education (ITE)
We offer a range of development opportunities relating to Initial Teacher Education.
- Weekly professional development sessions are led by experienced members of staff.
- Weekly mentor meetings, including deliberate practice, are a chance for mentors to model a specific strategy and then for the mentee to practise it with their mentor.
- Learning walks are carried out by the Innovation Team, who offer encouraging support and feedback.
- Trainees are given the opportunity to observe experienced teachers, gaining an insight into the teacher standards/core content framework in practice.
- There is also a chance to experience being a part of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Review process.
New staff joining HBAED observe experienced staff. This provides a working framework for lesson success. New staff are observed by the Innovation Team, Directors or SLT to support a smooth transition. A coach is assigned to outline and monitor their bespoke targets. Following bi-weekly reviews, support plans are used to tailor coaching further.
For experienced staff, MER reviews highlight strengths and development areas. A subject link coach is assigned to coach staff on developmental areas. This is done through face-to-face meetings, provision of educational links and literature.
A range of events are held for students throughout the year including workshops, guest speakers and external opportunities We also offer a range of training opportunities for staff including CPD, webinars, and seminars with a range of external providers.
We liaise with the NEU Black Teachers to ensure all anti-racist work is grounded in equity and equality. Click HERE to find out more about National Education Union anti-racism charter.
Women in leadership
We offer a warm and supportive space within which to work together and share our experiences as well as listening to experts in the field.
- We offer sessions around women’s leadership and empowering women in the workplace.
- We have a dedicated book club which relates literature to real life situations, raising questions that challenge ideologies.
- Reflective Practices are available for staff to do as individuals, whether as podcasts, reading, meditation or other activities.
- Opportunities are also available for informal gatherings to discuss current issues of the day or things relevant to our academy, and to relax and share with each other over refreshments
Click HERE to read the latest news from Harris Boys' Academy East Dulwich, where we showcase the latest achievements of our students and staff.