Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Posted on March 25th 2019
Cambridge University Trip for Year 10 Most Able Students
Fritzwilliam College, Cambridge, was the destination Year 10 in March as part of a trip organised through the Harris Experience programme.
The group from HBAED and Harris Dulwich Girls had the opportunity to visit the world class facilities of Cambridge University and see the famous academic city for themselves. They toured Fitzwilliam College (often simply called 'Fitz') and learned about the history of the college and university before hearing insights about how to make a succesful application.
The visit helped Year 10 get a feel of what is required. The pupils enjoyed the experience and now understand what it takes to attend the college as an undergraduate student. They know that:
- Top grades in your GCSEs are important as these are a prediction of A-Levels when applying
- It's important to choose the right A-Level subjects for the right university course
- What you do outside of the classroom is just as important as inside the classroom. Are you independently reading around your subject prior to applying, for example?
- Have you got a passion for your subject and what have you done to show this?
- You can attain UCAS points for addition qualifications such as grading in a musical instrument.
- Involvement with community or voluntary work really helps. Can you identify what sets you apart from the thousands of other applicants?
Thank you to Fitzwilliam College and the Harris Experience Programme for this very insightful trip.
Jake Metcalfe, Most Able Coordinator